- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Introduction to Psychology.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Introduction to Psychology
The history of psychology dates back to ancient times, for instance, in ~400BC Hippocrates looked at the link between body and personality, his theory being that body type determined the personality. In later years Aristotle (~350BC) focused on the relationship between the body and the soul, he thought that the soul gave life to the body.
Although the psychology we know today didn't really start to emerge until 1879, work such as Darwin's "The Origin of Species" theory of evolution through natural selection (1859) has had great influence on the world, so has Broca who discovered the first link between human functions and different parts of the brain (1861), Wernicke's theories (1874) also had similarities to Broca's findings. All of these theories contributed to what became known as the Physiological Approach, which is one of five approaches used today. The Physiological Approach focuses on the relationship between biological make up and our behaviour. In some ways you could say that the theories suggest behaviour is governed by the brains ability to deal with different experiences.
As mentioned, the year 1879 basically marks the start of modern day psychology, when Wilhelm Wundt founded the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Describe processes for initiating, maintaining, developing a...
- Explain the principal psychological perspectives as applied ...
- Outline and evaluate different types of attachment
- Describe the main theoretical models of child abuse.(
- Discuss the effects of parenting style on children's develop...
- Outline and evaluate research into cross-cultural variations...
- Outline one cross-cultural study into the development of per...
- Psychology Controversy essay, Nature Vs Nurture PY4
- Self Concept - With Positive and Negative Examples
- Outline & Evaluate Research Into Attachment
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.