- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Is sociology a science?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Social Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Is sociology a science?
To answer the question of whether or not sociology is a science is entirely dependent upon the individual's definition of science. If the conventional definition of science is being referred to, that is, that science is knowledge ascertained by observation and experiment, critically tested, systematised and brought under general principles, then arguably to a certain extent sociology is scientific. However if science is socially instead of objectively defined, then although some sociology may have similar characteristics to natural science there is a significant difference in the method model used in each case.
Medawar claimed science should be defined in terms of its method, stating that if a particular logic and procedure was followed then the subject could be considered a science regardless the subject matter. This would thus allow certain branches of sociology to be defined as a science, mainly those that are of a positivist approach and utilise quantitative research.
Popper redefined and developed this view of science. He viewed science as being logical, useful and refutable. He believed scientific knowledge is built up using a continuing process of conjecture and disproval and there is no final truth but the most likely
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Critically evaluate whether Milgrams research on obedience w...
- Media influences on anti-social behaviour
- Describe and Evaluate Studies on Conformity. (Key study Solo...
- Critically Discuss the Contribution of Different Sociologica...
- Discuss research into any two types of understudied relation...
- Discuss the relationship between sexual selection and human ...
- Discuss research into Deindividuation as an explanation for ...
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.