- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Outline and evaluate at least two theories of aggression
The first 200 words of this essay...
Outline and evaluate at least two theories of aggression-
The two theories of aggression I have focused on are social learning theory and deindividuation.
Social learning theory Bandura (1965) claims that aggressive behaviour is learned either through direct experience or vicarious experience. The social learning theory suggests that we primarily learn to be aggressive by observing the aggressive behaviour of those around us, in particular someone significant in our lives. The idea of direct experience is taken from Skinners principal of operant conditioning. For example if a child pushes another child and gets rewarded for it, the behaviour is encouraged and is likely to be repeated. Vicarious behaviour is learned through observational experience. Theorists say that for behaviour to be adapted it must be reinforced in order to be rewarding in some way.
In order to demonstrate the importance of modelling in aggressive behaviour Bandura et al carried out a series of experiments involving children exposed to aggressive behaviour of an adult model towards a doll. His study of the 'Bobo doll' was to investigate aggressive behaviour through direct and vicarious behaviour. The procedure of the experiment was done by dividing 66 children in 3 groups with 3
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Using research evidence, explain conformity and obedience
- Pro and Anti Social Behaviour
- Psychological Causes of Prejudice
- Outline and evaluate the theory of deindividuation
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student