- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Outline and evaluate research (theories and/or studies) into eyewitness testimony
The first 200 words of this essay...
Outline and evaluate research (theories and/or studies) into eyewitness testimony (18 marks)
Eyewitness testimony investigates the accuracy of memory following a crime or an incident worth interrogating and the types of errors made in such situations. Sometimes eyewitness testimony can be unreliable, which can lead to horrific consequences in a court of law for example, hence many Psychologists have studied and theorized why this happens.
One leading researcher on Eyewitness testimony is Elizabeth Loftus and her colleagues, in 1975, participants were shown an event by film of a car crash, the participants were split into 2 groups and ask questions on what they had just seen, Group 1 were asked questions that were consistent with the incident, while Group 2, were given same question except one, which was misleading (involving a barn). A week later participants were ask another ten questions, and the last question ask did they see a barn (which was not in the incident). Only 2.7 % gave the incorrect answer and in-group 2 17.3% gave the incorrect answer. Loftus concluded that the introduction of the barn in the first misleading question was now recalled as part of the original event. Elizabeth performed a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Describe and evaluate the Multi-store Model of memory.
- Outline and Evaluate the Multi Store Model of Memory.
- The cognitive perspective in psychology is often used to exp...
- Outline and evaluate the working memory model. (12 marks) UP...
- Trace Decay Theory
- How would you define psychology?
- Evaluate 3 Approaches to treating Mental Disorders: Psychody...
- Describe and Evaluate Research by E.Loftus into Eye Witness ...
- Outline and evaluate the behavioural explanation of psychopa...
- Explanations of disorders of memory PY4
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.