- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Outline and evaluate the biological approach to abnormality (12 marks)
The first 200 words of this essay...
The biological approach to abnormality assumes that psychopathology is largely down to the four main physiological factors: infection, neuroanotmy, neurochemistry and genetics.
Infection is the result of pathogens entering the blood stream and entering the blood brain barrier or the nervous system. These pathogens cause diseases of the brain. For example in 1900's 3rd stage syphilis caused dementia and finally death. However this part of the biological approach is a very small explanation of abnormality, and with large advancements modern medicine is becoming decreasingly unseen. Another issue is multi-finality. For example schizophrenia has been associated with the flu during pregnancy, however not every expectant mother with flu has a schizophrenic child. A lot of other factors are involved in the disease, and simply labelling flu as the only cause is going to cause issues in the understanding of multiple factors.
Neuroanatomy refers to the different activities and structures of the brain regions and tissue. This is often tested through MRI scans of normal people and comparing to those mentally ill. One example is schizophrenia where the ventricles appear enlarged and the amount of grey matter in the brain is reduced. It is however hard
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physiological Psychology (view all)
- Discuss research into stress-related illness and the immune ...
- Outline and evaluate one or more explanations for sleep diso...
- Depression. There are several approaches to depression, two...
- Describe and Evaluate Bowlbys theory of attachment. (12 mark...
- Outline and evaluate two methods of stress management
- Free will vs determinism: Superheroes are born not made
- Psychological therapies of schizophrenia
- Discuss two or more evolutionary explanations of food prefer...
- Issues associated with the classification and diagnosis of s...
- Describe biological therapies for schizophrenia
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.