- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Parkers participant observation describes The Boys everyday lives but what else does it do? Critically consider the impact of the study and its relevance to theory, methodology, and policy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Parker's participant observation describes 'The Boys' everyday lives but what else does it do? Critically consider the impact of the study and it's relevance to theory, methodology, and policy.
In this essay I will be looking at the observational study carried out by Howard Parker, 'A View from the Boys' (1947). In this study Parker covertly participated to find out about the lives of a gang of adolescent boys from Liverpool.
The study was looking into the sub-culture aspect of crime and deviance with a strong hold of Functionalism. Both the Functionalist and the sub-culture theories stress the learning of norms and values are crucial to the relation to crime committed. The sub-culture in Parker's study focused on the behaviour and beliefs of the boys that he studied that differentiated them from the public generally. The sub-culture in a 'View from the Boys' came about due to the boys being in a gang and separating themselves from the rest of the public and engaging themselves in criminal behaviour.
It is possible to see that it would have been difficult for Parker to have gained access to the group. This is a difficult aspect of participant observation as the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Outline and evaluate deviation in social norms as a means to...
- Describe and discuss ethical and methodological issues which...
- Outline and evaluate the theory of deindividuation
- Describe and Evaluate two or more explanations of the pro-so...
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.