- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Piaget' theories. Include the work of Vygotsky, Bruner, Donaldson and Rogoff to discuss and analyse Piaget's theories
The first 200 words of this essay...
Write a detailed 1,500 word critique of Piaget' theories. Include the work of Vygotsky, Bruner, Donaldson and Rogoff to discuss and analyse Piaget's theories
Jean Piaget (1896 - 1980) was a constructivist theorist. He saw children as constructing their own world, playing an active part in their own development. Piaget's insight opened up a new window into the inner working of the mind and as a result he carried out some remarkable studies on children that had a powerful influence on theories of child thought. This essay is going to explain the main features and principles of the Piagetian theory and then provide criticism against this theory.
Cognitive development refers to way in which a person's style of thinking changes with age. Piaget argued that cognitive development is based on the development of schemas. This refers to a psychological structure representing all of a person's knowledge of actions or objects. To perform a new skill which the person has no schema, they have to work from previous skills that they have. This is called assimilation, where they have pulled previous schemas together then adapted and changed them to fit their task through accommodation. Piaget theorised
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Define Psychology using four perspectives; Psychoanalytical,...
- What have been the major challenges to Piaget's theory of co...
- The five major perspectives in Psychology and their main str...
- Influence of childhood experiences on adult relationships
- Psychological explanations and theories of stress
- Outline and evaluate Piagets theory of cognitive development...
- Sibling Rivalry
- Introduction to Psychology
- Jean Piaget and his revolutionary approach to understanding ...
- AQA A2 Psychology Unit 3 Relationships: Influence of Childho...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.