- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Social Psychology - Milgram, Zimbardo prison study
The first 200 words of this essay...
Psychology- Milgram, Zimbardo prison study
Sherif's Conformity and the autokinetic effect experiment Individuals were asked to estimate how far they thought The light moved, and then tested them together in a group.
Group norm was established informational social influence Asch - Stimulus line- 74% of the innocent participants Went along with the group and conformed at least once
Zimbardo's Prison simulation experiment- example of Normative influence, Volunteers were given authority and Asked to act as guards over other volunteers were prisoners.
Aim: to see the psychological effects of making 'normal', 'Good' people into prisoners or guards.Volunteers: 24 mid Class, male college students, mentally fine and no criminal
records, were paid $15 per day and divided into prisoners or guards by the flip of a coin.Procedure: Prisoners were arrested at their homes at the start of the study, blindfolded and taken to Stanford University basement, which had been converted into a realistic prison! From then on the volunteers were treated as prisoners by the other volunteers who were guards.End of the study:
The Study was stopped after six days because the guards became sadistic and the prisoners became extremely stressed. Milgram's electric
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Using research evidence, explain conformity and obedience
- Pro and Anti Social Behaviour
- Psychological Causes of Prejudice
- Outline and evaluate the theory of deindividuation
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.