- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Wicked Written by Gregory Maguire & No Way Back Written by Linda Newbery - Is conformity and stability more desirable than individuality and freedom for the female characters in these two texts?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Text 1: Wicked
Written by Gregory Maguire
Text 2: No Way Back
Written by Linda Newbery
Is conformity and stability more desirable than individuality and freedom for the female characters in these two texts?
Word Count: 1002
Throughout both Gregory Maguire's Wicked and Linda Newbery's No Way Back it is clearly shown through key female characters that conformity and stability are more desirable than individuality and freedom. These characters are Glinda and Elphaba from Wicked and Ellie and Natalie from No Way Back. Both Glinda and Ellie look for conformity and stability and Elphaba and Natalie desire individuality and freedom within their texts.
Maguire's key female character, Glinda, looks for conformity and stability throughout her life. Being from Gillikin, Glinda is expected to marry into a rich social strata and to be the ultimate socialite. She conforms to this expectation and the reader is manipulated to think she is happy. "She [Glinda] reasoned that because she was beautiful she was significant..." [page 65]. Glinda has always known that she was significant and this later on causes her to a the socialite. "Just put this on Sir Chuffrey's account...have them
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Pro and Anti Social Behaviour
- "Describe the main features of conformity and obedience...
- The Concepts Of Conformity And Obedience
- Outline and evaluate research into obedience (12)
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.