- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
“Without real freedom there would be no ethical decisions to make,” Discuss.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Without real freedom there would be no ethical decisions to make," Discuss.
In making ethical decisions you are exercising an ability to make
moral judgements and take moral responsibility. How does freedom tie
in with this? Does an action have to be undertaken freely for you to
be morally responsible for it? If an action is taken intentionally and
consciously then surely he who took the action is responsible for the
consequences of the action. So long as action was taken as a choice
between various other actions and was a deliberate choice then the
agent is accountable for the choice he made. If we can describe the
action as being either right or wrong or good or bad then we assume
that the agent took these factors into account when choosing to act.
This shows that he had the capacity for deliberate choice, and acted
freely towards his intentions. It was because he acted freely that he
became responsible for the act and because he chose to act in that way
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Practical Questions (view all)
- Examine and comment on the view that the principle of the sa...
- Some ethical theories are of more help than others when maki...
- RE euthanasia for and against
- Compare and contrast the ethical theories of natural law and...
- Explain Anselm ontological argument
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.