- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Stories about miracles are an obstacle to faith for modern people.(TM) Discuss.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Stories about miracles are an obstacle to faith for modern people.' Discuss.
A miracle can be defined in a number of ways, for Hume Miracles are a "violation of law by a supernatural being" and Bultmann argued that all miracles are "mythological", this meaning miracle stories were expressions relevant to the question of existence confronting everyone, both scholars opinions highlight the suggestion of if the concept of miracles is valid for modern people as they discuss the relevance of miracles in faith.
Hume, in his An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding of Miracles (pt2) stated that "The Christian religion not only was at first attended with miracles, but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without one" - Hume is suggesting that the foundations to the Christian religion are based upon miracles and that Christianity is not reasonable if it is based on this, thus Christian belief undermines, "subverts", all understanding and experience - With this view in mind we can make the assumption that for Hume miracles ARE an obstacle to faith for modern people as miracles supposedly weaken the Christian faith as they have no real veracity.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- Is it a simple matter to distinguish a scientific argument f...
- How successful is the Moral Argument?
- How does the Judeo-Christian tradition solve Euthyphros dile...
- How convincing is the claim that 'because art is informative...
- Explain the problem of evil (25 marks). Are the theodicies...
- Examine the different forms of religious experience
- Humes criticism of the cosmological argument do not succeed....
- Explain Aristotles understanding of the four causes. (25)
- Scripture is the word of God. Discuss
- Examine different religious beliefs about the nature and pur...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.