- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The concept of disembodied existence is coherent - Discuss
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The concept of disembodied existence is coherent" - Discuss
The possibility of disembodied existence cannot be considered without taking into account the nature of the human person. A natural way of thinking would seem to be that mind-body dualism is a "survival-friendly" metaphysical view, whereas materialism seems to be inimical to survival. However, the logical possibility (or 'coherence') of dualist survival - specifically, of disembodied survival - has been seriously questioned. The general form taken by such questioning lies in the assertion that we have no "criteria of identity" for disembodied persons. When we make judgments about the identity of persons we are not making judgments about the identity of souls - souls are said to be 'imperceptible'.
It is arguable that a superior source of evidence for the survival of a disembodied consciousness lies in so-called "near-death experiences". These are experiences of persons who were, or perceived themselves to be, close to death; indeed many such persons met the criteria for clinical death. While in this state, they undergo remarkable experiences, often taken to be experiences of the world that awaits them after death. Returning to life, they testify to their experiences, claiming in many
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- If God knows what we are going to do, he has no right to rew...
- Theories of the resurrection of the body are logically coher...
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument ...
- Explain the theodicy of Irenaeus. Irenaeus theodicy is the r...
- Bertrand Russell disagreed with Berkeleys argument for objec...
- Examine the different forms of religious experience
- Humes criticism of the cosmological argument do not succeed....
- Explain Aristotles understanding of the four causes. (25)
- Scripture is the word of God. Discuss
- Examine different religious beliefs about the nature and pur...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.