- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Virtue ethics is of little use when dealing with practical ethics Discuss.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Virtue ethics is of little use when dealing with practical ethics' (35 marks)
It is often argued that virtue ethics is of little use when dealing with practical ethics. Virtue ethics does not focus on actions being right or wrong, but on how to be a good person. Virtue ethics raises three questions,- "who am I?", "Who I ought to become?" and "How do I get there?". On the other hand Practical ethics describes situations where an action is needed.
Firstly virtue ethics goes back to Plato and Aristotle. Plato's moral theory centres on the achievement of man's highest good, which involves the right cultivation of his soul and the harmonious well being of his life (eudaimonia). Plato seemed to consider that certain virtues such as temperance, courage, prudence and justice (cardinal Virtues) are in balance a person's actions will be good. It motivates people to want to be good. It shows the importance of education in showing that good actions are their own rewards. When these virtues are in balance a persons actions will be good and therefore would disagree that virtue ethics is of little use.
Aristotle's ethical theory is known as virtue ethics because
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Practical Questions (view all)
- Examine the Strengths and Weaknesses of Kants Ethical Theory
- Business Ethics
- Ethics in Business
- Utilitarianism VS Kantian Deontological Ethics
- Evaluate the claim that conscience is the voice of God
- What guidance might utilitarianism offer to questions relati...
- The Main Features of Justice, Law and Punishment
- To what extent would you say Situation Ethics is a useful et...
- To what extent do we have an individual moral responsibility...
- 'Some religious ethics are too rigid for moral decision maki...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.