- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Abortion and Personhood. Explain how the concept of personhood applies to abortion.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain how the concept of personhood implies to abortion:
Personhood can be defined as the quality or condition of being an individual person. Personhood is a topic that debated intensely in philosophy and law, and is closely related to legal concepts of citizenship, liberty and equality. According to law, only a natural person or legal personality has rights, protections, privileges, responsibilities, and legal liability. As well as this, the controversial topic of abortion is considered closely linked with personhood. Abortion is the termination of pregnancy by the removal or expulsion from the uterus of a fetus due to viability. An abortion can happen without an external cause, in which case it is usually called a miscarriage, or it can be carried out with intention. The term abortion most commonly refers to the induced abortion of a human pregnancy. When discussing this argument, it is crucial that when we think about abortion, we need to know what we mean when we discuss 'human life.' A human life may be seen as a member of the biological human species, containing a human genetic code. Or, it may be viewed, as a being that possesses certain human characteristics
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Practical Questions (view all)
- The key difference between someone using counselling skills ...
- Explain the difference between a hypothetical and categorica...
- Explain the difference between Absolute and Relative Moralit...
- Analyse and explain the strengths and weaknesses of deontolo...
- Explain what is meant by moral absolutism.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.