- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess whether 'God exists' is a testable hypothesis.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess whether 'God exists' is a testable hypothesis
Ultimately, God's existence cannot be classified as a 'testable' hypothesis. A hypothesis is a proposal, which can be tested and then either confirmed or rejected. God's non-physical state makes this virtually impossible, as we are unable to use our senses to confirm his presence or absence. Anthony Flew and Ludwig Wittgenstein's theories provide a considerable amount of evidence, which suggests that there cannot possibly be a religious hypothesis. Good introduction.
Firstly, Anthony Flew's parable of the gardener is highly vital in the quest to prove that God's existence is not a testable hypothesis. The scenario includes two explorers, who discover a humanly made clearing, yet evidence suggests that it occurred naturally. Both explorers have contrasting views, one favours natural causes and the other favours human intervention. Subsequently, no evidence of the gardener is present, however is invisible. Flew's claim hinges on falsification,and if a religious claim cannot be falsified it is essentially meaningless, as the claimant hasn't allowed themselves to be proven wrong. The hypothesis of God's existence is relatively similar to this case, as God is 'transcendent' and beyond our experiences, which by Flew's logic makes the religious hypothesis
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- If God knows what we are going to do, he has no right to rew...
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument ...
- Explain and illustrate two ways in which art might illuminat...
- If god knows what we are going to do, does he have the right...
- Theories of the resurrection of the body are logically coher...
- Examine the different forms of religious experience
- Humes criticism of the cosmological argument do not succeed....
- Explain Aristotles understanding of the four causes. (25)
- Scripture is the word of God. Discuss
- Examine different religious beliefs about the nature and pur...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student