- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast the key features of Natural Moral Law & Virtue Ethics
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Christianity and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast the key features of Natural Moral Law and Virtue Ethics
Virtue Ethics is a character based ethical theory. This means that it looks at the virtue or moral character of the individual carrying out an action, rather than at ethical laws, or the consequences of particular actions. Rather than attempting to reason what should be considered 'good' or 'bad', virtue ethics focuses on how adopting certain attitudes may lead to certain fulfilments.
Virtue ethics is principally concerned with the idea of the human character and asks how you can be a better person. In this way it is different to many other ethical theories as it puts right character before right behaviour. It argues we should be less concerned with actions and consequences, and much more with the character of the moral agent. The question 'what is it right or obligatory to do?' is nowhere near as important in virtue ethics as the question, 'how should we be?'
The principles of virtue ethics are that 1. An action is only right if it is an action that a virtuous person would carry out in the same circumstances. 2. A virtuous person is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Christianity (view all)
- Identify and explain two characteristics of religious Fundam...
- Explain the reasons for the spread of Christianity in the fi...
- Explain the judaeo-christian concept of God as lawgiver and ...
- Explain the biblical beliefs about the attributes of God.
- Explain how God is shown in the Bible as a Creator
""Zoey. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.