- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and contrast the key features of Natural Moral Law & Virtue Ethics
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast the key features of Natural Moral Law and Virtue Ethics
Virtue Ethics is a character based ethical theory. This means that it looks at the virtue or moral character of the individual carrying out an action, rather than at ethical laws, or the consequences of particular actions. Rather than attempting to reason what should be considered 'good' or 'bad', virtue ethics focuses on how adopting certain attitudes may lead to certain fulfilments.
Virtue ethics is principally concerned with the idea of the human character and asks how you can be a better person. In this way it is different to many other ethical theories as it puts right character before right behaviour. It argues we should be less concerned with actions and consequences, and much more with the character of the moral agent. The question 'what is it right or obligatory to do?' is nowhere near as important in virtue ethics as the question, 'how should we be?'
The principles of virtue ethics are that 1. An action is only right if it is an action that a virtuous person would carry out in the same circumstances. 2. A virtuous person is a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Christianity (view all)
- Was it easier to be a disciple then than now?
- Explain the meaning of discipleship for: The first Christian...
- Outline and explain the issues included in uncovering the hi...
- Give an account of the contribution made by Colmcille (Colum...
- Essay on Pauls first missionary journey
- Critically assess the view that sin always has serious conse...
- Examine the main differences between Matthews and Lukes acco...
- To what extent did Jesus intend to replace the Torah?
- Jesus Did Not Intend For His Parables To Be Easily Understoo...
- Explain what is meant in the Bible by the phrase God is go...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.