- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Evaluate the claim that conscience is the voice of God
The first 200 words of this essay...
Evaluate the claim that the Conscience is the voice of God
Conscience is something that is intrinsic to our everyday lives. The origin and role of the conscience is something that divides people and something that has been used to justify some very terrible acts, approaches to conscience vary, including numerous religions who claim that it is God given. This is the belief that either at conception God gave each person a conscience or that it is imparted to us at some stage to enable us to discern morally correct and incorrect actions. For some philosophers it is the actual voice of God that speaks to them through their conscience.
Thomas Aquinas saw conscience as 'right reason'. For him, reason was central to the moral life and to understanding the differences between right and wrong. He did not agree that the conscience was an inner voice telling us what is right and what is wrong, he believed that it was 'reason making right decisions' and used correctly it helps us to understand what God sees as good and right. His belief was that people try to do good and avoid evil, called the Synderesis rule. In all
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Practical Questions (view all)
- Virtue Ethics Summary Notes
- Explain Anselm ontological argument
- Explain Aquinass cosmological argument
- Explain what is meant by Moral Relativism
- Situation Ethics and Moral Decision Making.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo