- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Examine the main strengths and weakness of the Cosmological argument for the existence of God. Consider the view that the weaknesses are more convincing than the strengths.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Examine the main strengths and weakness of the Cosmological argument for the existence of God. Consider the view that the weaknesses are more convincing than the strengths. (20)
Unlike the Design argument, which argues for the existence of God based upon the sheer complexity of the design of the world, the Cosmological argument approaches the debate from a different slant. The word 'cosmological' originates from the Greek language, and is translated to mean 'order'. The argument essentially argues that the universe's existence must be down to causes outside the universe itself, and that therefore the only explanation for this existence is that a first, primary cause (First Causer) must have existed to set off a chain of causes and effects in an orderly fashion to make up what we know today as the universe.
Many philosophers have taken the argument on board, and over time it has developed. Plato, Aristotle, and through to F.C. Copleston have all had a role in expanding and building upon the original argument. One of the main strengths of the Cosmological argument is its logical reasoning. F.C. Copleston took the argument and reformulated it as three premises, all of which follow each other
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- Religious language is meaningless, Discuss
- Theories of the resurrection of the body are logically coher...
- Explain Plato's theory of forms.
- Assess Humes reasons for rejecting miracles
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument ...
- Examine the different forms of religious experience
- Humes criticism of the cosmological argument do not succeed....
- Explain Aristotles understanding of the four causes. (25)
- Scripture is the word of God. Discuss
- Examine different religious beliefs about the nature and pur...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.