- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explain how the attitude of Jesus towards the Sabbath in Marks Gospel might affect Christians today.
The first 200 words of this essay...
AO2: Explain how the attitude of Jesus towards the Sabbath in Marks Gospel might affect Christians today.
Jesus' attitude to the Sabbath was that:
"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath"
This attitude totally contrasted the view of the Pharisees, who treated the Sabbath, and encouraged everyone else to treat it like man was made for it. Jesus compared his actions in the "Lord of the Sabbath", when he picks grain for him and his disciples, on the Sabbath, to David, who:
"Entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat"
The Pharisees, who led Jesus to explaining his opinion to the Sabbath (above), by questioning him for "working" on the Sabbath were very upstanding and well respected people in the community of Jesus' time. They were the people who the public went to if they had any questions on how to please God or how you should live life and be "safe".
The Pharisees attitude as I have briefly mentioned above was one that made sure everyone carried out every one of the 516-619 oral laws that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Judaism (view all)
- Different Types of Jews.
- Importance of Holocaust Today
- What is the Torah and Why is it Important To Jews?
- Explain why the Ten Commandments are central to Jewish life
- A Summary Of Jewish Food Laws and Their Origins.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.