- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explain the main features of the design argument for the existence of God.Science makes the design argument irrelevant assess the claim
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
a.) Explain the main features of the design argument for the existence of God. (AO1 30 marks)
To begin with, there are traditional design arguments that seek to explain the existence of a God. Thomas Aquinas used design qua regularity when developing his argument. He reasoned that everything functions to certain purpose and an inanimate object has no rational power so this indicates that an external power must have directed its purpose. To support his argument, he argued that objects such as the earth, the moon, and the planets are somehow endowed with knowledge and intelligence, which mean determine their own place in the universe. For example, the sun and the moon did not work out their orbit for each of them. Therefore, this means someone must have directed it to their purpose. Aquinas strongly believed that the order of the solar system presents valid evidence for the existence of an external being and concluded the being is God. In addition, Aquinas featured an analogy in his argument; he argued that an arrow cannot be directed to its goal without the aid of a guiding hand (archer)
William Paley took a different approach in explaining the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument ...
- The strengths and weaknesses of utilitarianism
- The design argument is also known as the teleological argume...
- Evaluate the weaknesses of design arguments for the existenc...
- Situation ethics
- a) Examine the evidence for and against the occurrence of mi...
- Discuss God's Existence and the Purpose of Human Life.
- Explain a relativistic theory of ethics
- Is Religious Language Meaningful?
- The design arguments prove Gods existence. Assess this view...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.