- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explain the problem of evil (25 marks). Are the theodicies attempts to deal with moral and natural evil and suffering doomed, in the face of so much evil and suffering?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Philosophy and Ethics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The problem of evil
A) Explain the problem of evil (25 marks)
The fact that there is evil in the world is a problem for theists as they claim to worship a god who is all-knowing, all- powerful and completely good, the problem arises because surely such a being would be aware of evil and suffering in the world as they are all-knowing , would have the power to prevent it from happening as he is all-powerful and as he is supposedly completely good ,and he would not allow for such evil to ever even occur, as Christians believe him to bear all three of these divine attributes , the allowance of evil to persist on a daily basis throughout the world surely disproves the existence of God.
There are two separate types of evil that affect the world, firstly there is moral evil. Moral evil defines the bad actions of us as humans such as: rape, theft and murder, where as Natural evil makes reference to the natural processes of the world such as:
volcanoes, earthquakes and forest fires, it is said that as humans commit such atrocities as murder through moral
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- Situation ethics
- Explain how moral decisions should be made according to: Act...
- Explain the Cosmological argument for the existence of God.
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument ...
- Religious language is meaningless, Discuss
- If god knows what we are going to do he has no right to rewa...
- Explain Descartes' Ontological Argument
- Is the activity of an intelligent designer the best explanat...
- Ideals are illusions; we can only experience what is real. D...
- To what extent is the omnipotence of God a logically coheren...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.