- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
outline situation ethics
The first 200 words of this essay...
1.) Outline and explain Situation Ethics as an ethical theory?
Situation ethics is an alternative ethical theory, particularly influential in Protestant Christianity, similar to utilitarianism, in that it is a way a deciding upon the correct action that is to be taken in a given situation, but where happiness has been substituted for love. It does however take an individualistic approach, with the emphasis being upon each person, rather than on looking after the majority, as is the case in utilitarianism.
The theory is based on love, and revolves around doing the most loving thing for the greatest number of people. It is teleological which means that is consequential and not based on rules.
St. Augustine of Hippo Regius was one of the first to articulate this theory, "love and do what you will"", however it is more closely associated with Joseph Fletcher. An American professor of ethics, Fletcher developed Situation ethics as a result of his critique of Legalism and Antinomianism. Fletcher disliked like the way in which so many ethical theories, such as utilitarianism, were based upon and around a basic set of rules; that is to say, that they take a legalistic
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy (view all)
- Is free will compatible with determinism?
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument ...
- The Ontological Argument - Critique
- Theories of the resurrection of the body are logically coher...
- Analyse the key features of Virtue Ethics and Deontology; to...
- Examine the different forms of religious experience
- Humes criticism of the cosmological argument do not succeed....
- Explain Aristotles understanding of the four causes. (25)
- Scripture is the word of God. Discuss
- Examine different religious beliefs about the nature and pur...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.