- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Beginning Of Hinduism.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Beginning Of Hinduism
Hinduism is the oldest of the major world religions. It began so long ago that no one really knows how old it really is, but it goes back at least 5000 years. The Hindus think it has always existed.
The name 'Hindu' comes from an old name for people who lived in a part of northern India. The word 'Hindu' comes from the River Indus and in the beginning it described where people lived, not their religion. The Persians were the first people to use the name. There were people living near the River Indus about five thousand years ago. They built large cities and one of them was called Mohenjo-daro. Some archaeologists have dug the city up and discovered many things about the Indus people and their civilization. Today, over 800 million people living in India are Hindus, and there are the same number living in other parts of the world.
Hinduism was not begun by any one person but it developed gradually over more than a thousand years. This means that today it has many different 'branches' and its followers have a very wide range of beliefs and ways of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hinduism (view all)
- Describe Hindu belief in respect for all living creatures.
- The role of the three Gunas in the Hindu vision of the Cosmo...
- To What Extent Was Mohammad Ali Jinnah Responsible for The F...
- The concept of Atman
- Identify the characteristics beliefs and practises associate...
- Christianity and Hinduism seem to have profoundly different ...
- Ideas Central to Sikhism in Comparison to Hinduism and Islam
- What is the Role and Significance of Hindu Temples?
- Examine and Comment of Christian and Hindu Beliefs about Lif...
- Problems that sikhs face practicing their religion in Britai...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student