- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What are the advantages of utilitarianism? Identify the main problems of utilitarianism
The first 200 words of this essay...
What are the advantages of utilitarianism? Identify the main problems of utilitarianism. (21)
To what extent do these problems make utilitarianism unacceptable? (9)
Utilitarianism comes from the Latin word "utilis" meaning useful. This is in the terms of greatest good for the greatest number of people. It is a consequential argument as well as an instrumental morality. Which means that no act is intrinsically good or bad? Utilitarianism is the complete opposite to absolutism which believes that all acts should be judged the same. In utilitarianism the act is judged on whether or not the consequence of the act is good. The argument is secular, meaning it has nothing to do with God. The purpose of morality is to make the world a better place. Morality is about producing good consequences, not having good intentions
The origins of utilitarianism begin with the age of reason (sometimes known as the age of enlightenment). This was the time when science and secularism were embraced and religion and theology were set aside. Next there was the French revolution in which the masses of France rose up to destroy the aristocracy that was forcing them to work for their own ends.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Christianity (view all)
- Canons of Christianity
- Explain what different Christians believe about their respon...
- Natural law explanation and analysis
- Explain the biblical beliefs about the attributes of God.
- "What are the main aims and messages of feminist theolo...
- Critically assess the view that sin always has serious conse...
- Examine the main differences between Matthews and Lukes acco...
- To what extent did Jesus intend to replace the Torah?
- Jesus Did Not Intend For His Parables To Be Easily Understoo...
- Explain what is meant in the Bible by the phrase God is go...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.