- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Affects of Temperature On the Digestion of Starch.
The first 200 words of this essay...
AFFECTS OF TEMPERATURE ON THE DIGESTION OF STARCH
Affects of Temperature On The
Digestion of Starch
For my experiment, I will be looking at enzymes; more specifically, the enzyme amylase. Amylase breaks down starch into glucose. I will be looking at how temperature affects this conversion.
Enzymes exist in all living things. They are composed of polypeptide chains of amino acids and are produced in living cells. Each cell contains several hundred enzymes, which catalyse a vast number of chemical reactions.
Enzymes are known as 'Biological Catalysts' as they dramatically affect the rate at which reactions occur within living organisms, without being 'used up' or effecting the reaction in any other way. Enzyme catalysis saves the need for an increase in temperature in order to speed up reactions within living things. Such an increase in temperature would be lethal to the organism. Enzymes only control the rate of one specific reaction inside the body, as only one specific substrate can fit into its active site; therefore we say the enzyme is specialized.
There are two main types of enzyme:
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- Investigating respiration of maggots
- Liver and Hydrogen Peroxide experiment
- Find out if enzymes work faster or slower at different tempe...
- Colorimetry Experiment - I will investigate and observe the ...
- Experiment Aim: To investigate the effects of placing onion ...
- Influenza is a viral infection which attacks the respiratory...
- How the protein insulin is made.
- This essay will look at different types of human tissues and...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.