- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Affects of Temperature On the Digestion of Starch.
The first 200 words of this essay...
AFFECTS OF TEMPERATURE ON THE DIGESTION OF STARCH
Affects of Temperature On The
Digestion of Starch
For my experiment, I will be looking at enzymes; more specifically, the enzyme amylase. Amylase breaks down starch into glucose. I will be looking at how temperature affects this conversion.
Enzymes exist in all living things. They are composed of polypeptide chains of amino acids and are produced in living cells. Each cell contains several hundred enzymes, which catalyse a vast number of chemical reactions.
Enzymes are known as 'Biological Catalysts' as they dramatically affect the rate at which reactions occur within living organisms, without being 'used up' or effecting the reaction in any other way. Enzyme catalysis saves the need for an increase in temperature in order to speed up reactions within living things. Such an increase in temperature would be lethal to the organism. Enzymes only control the rate of one specific reaction inside the body, as only one specific substrate can fit into its active site; therefore we say the enzyme is specialized.
There are two main types of enzyme:
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular organelles Structure and Function
- effect of concentration of copper sulphate on the action of ...
- Cellular Structure and Function
- How does the concentration of enzymes affect the breakdown o...
- Proteins have many functions in the human body and these inc...
- Is using stem cells to grow new eggs an effective alternativ...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.