- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
An Experiment To Investigate The Effect Of Hydrogen Peroxide (Substance) Upon Yeast (Catalase)
The first 200 words of this essay...
Brownhillls Community School
An ExperimenTo Investigate The
EffectOf Hydrogen Peroxide (Substance)
Upon Yeast (Catalase)
Catalase is a protein molecule, thats reactions it catalyses are crucial to life. Catalyses converts Hydrogen Peroxide to water and oxygen. Catalase also uses Hydrogen Peroxide to oxidise toxins including Phenols, Formic Acid, Formaldehyde and Alcohols.
Catalase is an enzyme found in food such as potato, liver and yeast!. It is used for removing Hydrogen Peroxide from cells. Hydrogen Peroxide is the poisonous by -product of metabolism.
The enzyme catalase speeds up the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (2H O ). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen. Equation :
Hydrogen Peroxide Water + Oxygen
2H O 2H O + O
It is able to speed up the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide because the shape of it matches the shape of the Hydrogen Peroxide. This type of is called an anabolic reaction as the Hydrogen Peroxide molecule is broken up into smaller peices.
Hydrogen peroxide (2H O ) is formed of many cells and is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- Relating the structure and function of cell organelles
- An issue report investigating Malaria, how it is affecting o...
- Investigating the effect of Temperature on the Cell Membrane...
- Colorimetry Experiment - I will investigate and observe the ...
- Experiment Aim: To investigate the effects of placing onion ...
- Influenza is a viral infection which attacks the respiratory...
- How the protein insulin is made.
- This essay will look at different types of human tissues and...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'