- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
An Experiment To Investigate The Effect Of Hydrogen Peroxide (Substance) Upon Yeast (Catalase)
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Brownhillls Community School
An ExperimenTo Investigate The
EffectOf Hydrogen Peroxide (Substance)
Upon Yeast (Catalase)
Catalase is a protein molecule, thats reactions it catalyses are crucial to life. Catalyses converts Hydrogen Peroxide to water and oxygen. Catalase also uses Hydrogen Peroxide to oxidise toxins including Phenols, Formic Acid, Formaldehyde and Alcohols.
Catalase is an enzyme found in food such as potato, liver and yeast!. It is used for removing Hydrogen Peroxide from cells. Hydrogen Peroxide is the poisonous by -product of metabolism.
The enzyme catalase speeds up the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide (2H O ). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen. Equation :
Hydrogen Peroxide Water + Oxygen
2H O 2H O + O
It is able to speed up the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide because the shape of it matches the shape of the Hydrogen Peroxide. This type of is called an anabolic reaction as the Hydrogen Peroxide molecule is broken up into smaller peices.
Hydrogen peroxide (2H O ) is formed of many cells and is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- Factors effecting enzyme activity
- Investigating the effect of temperature on the breakdown of ...
- Outline the structure of the main tissues of the body.
- Is using stem cells to grow new eggs an effective alternativ...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.