- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
An experiment to investigate the effect of substrate concentration on the rate of activity of the enzyme Catalase.
The first 200 words of this essay...
An experiment to investigate the effect of substrate concentration on the rate of activity of the enzyme Catalase
Aim: This is an experiment to examine how the concentration of the substance Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) affects the rate of reaction of the enzyme Catalase. The main purpose of this reaction is to find out how; by varying the concentration of substrate (H2O2) the rate of enzymatic activity of the enzyme catalase (which is present in liver) is affected. The rate of this enzyme-controlled reaction can be measured by the amount of oxygen (O2) given off compared to the amount of time it takes to fill the entire volume of the gas syringe.
We know that an enzyme is a protein which serves as catalyst - a chemical agent that changes the rate of reaction without itself being consumed by the reaction. Each different enzyme acts upon a chemical substance called a substrate, which fits into the active site of the enzyme like a lock would into a key (lock and key mechanism), during the reaction products are formed. A Catalase enzyme serves to protect the cell (e.g. liver or potato
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- Find out if enzymes work faster or slower at different tempe...
- The effect of different temperatures on the movement of magg...
- Relating the structure and function of cell organelles
- Colorimetry Experiment - I will investigate and observe the ...
- Experiment Aim: To investigate the effects of placing onion ...
- Influenza is a viral infection which attacks the respiratory...
- How the protein insulin is made.
- This essay will look at different types of human tissues and...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.