- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
An experiment to investigate the effect of substrate concentration on the rate of activity of the enzyme Catalase.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
An experiment to investigate the effect of substrate concentration on the rate of activity of the enzyme Catalase
Aim: This is an experiment to examine how the concentration of the substance Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) affects the rate of reaction of the enzyme Catalase. The main purpose of this reaction is to find out how; by varying the concentration of substrate (H2O2) the rate of enzymatic activity of the enzyme catalase (which is present in liver) is affected. The rate of this enzyme-controlled reaction can be measured by the amount of oxygen (O2) given off compared to the amount of time it takes to fill the entire volume of the gas syringe.
We know that an enzyme is a protein which serves as catalyst - a chemical agent that changes the rate of reaction without itself being consumed by the reaction. Each different enzyme acts upon a chemical substance called a substrate, which fits into the active site of the enzyme like a lock would into a key (lock and key mechanism), during the reaction products are formed. A Catalase enzyme serves to protect the cell (e.g. liver or potato
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- effect of concentration of copper sulphate on the action of ...
- AN INVESTIGATION INTO HOW TEMPERATURE AFFECTS THE PERMEABILI...
- Cellular organelles Structure and Function
- Membrane permeability in beetroot cells.
- Is using stem cells to grow new eggs an effective alternativ...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.