- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
An experiment to measure the specific heat capacity of water
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Physics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
An Experiment to measure the Specific Heating Capacity of Water by electrical heating
Put a known mass of water in a beaker and then immerse the heating coil in the water. Connect the heating coil to a DC power supply. Include an ammeter and a voltmeter in the circuit to measure the current through the coil and the voltage across it. Switch on the current in the coil and leave it until a reasonable temperature increase has been recorded.
We recorded the starting temperature and the highest temperature reached during the experiment. We recorded the time for which the current was flowing and we measured the current and voltage throughout the heating interval. We recorded all of our measurements which are shown below.
Before commencing the experiment, we considered what precautions we could take to ensure accuracy. First we changed to a smaller beaker as this would give us less volume of water to heat, enabling us to complete the experiment within the designated time. We also felt that we gained the following advantages
* Less water surface area = less heat loss from water
* Less beaker surface area
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Electrical & Thermal Physics (view all)
- Internal Resistance of a cell
- Experiment to find the specific heat capacity of an aluminiu...
- The factors affecting the current flow through a conductor a...
- The objective of this lab was to experiment with a negative ...
- Single Phase Transformer (Experiment) Report.
- Physics Case Study Solar Electric Panels
- Geothermal energy is not easily accessible with our current ...
- The objectives of this experiment are to Verify Kirchhoffs l...
- Electricity generation from renewable and non-renewable sour...
- Electrical Energy Questions and Answers
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.