- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Bioluminescence, and the Mystery of Light Production
The first 200 words of this essay...
On a recent holiday to Jamaica, the peoples' love of Bob Marley was all too apparent. However, if you scratch under the surface of the reggae music, a natural phenomenon can be seen. In the waters offshore a little harbour town called Falmouth, bioluminescence occurs.
When I went to Falmouth to have a look at bioluminescence, it was quite dark - it was 6 pm, but from standing on the dock it appeared that the lagoon was like any other I have seen, the water looked no different to normal and there was nothing out-of-the-ordinary. However, when we got into the boat and left the dock behind us, the bioluminescence quickly showed itself. There was a distinct "neon-like" glow to the water which had been disturbed by the boat, especially the wake behind us.
Any fish in the water could be seen to be glowing, and if you put your hand out and held it into the water when you take it back out again you could see that glowing too. Jerry, our sailor-cum-tour guide showed us what it would look like if it was raining by getting a bucket of water and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- mitosis coursework
- Cellular Structure amd Function
- The Biological Importance of Water
- Outline the various stages involved in meiotic division and ...
- Digestive system
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
- Research project. Type 1 diabetes, is there a solution?
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student