- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Blood structure and function in the body.
Teacher essay summary
Marked by teacher kerry jackson 19/02/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
Blood can be defined as: the circulating fluid (plasma) and suspended formed elements, such as red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets in the vascular system of humans and other vertebrates. This essay will mention about structure of the blood and the functions of the blood.
Structure of blood has four major parts these are: plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Plasma is mainly made up from water; nearly %90-%92 is water. This is a straw coloured fluid. Plasma contains dissolved substances including electrolytes for example: sodium, chlorine and potassium. Albumin, globulin and fibrinogen are the protein of blood plasma. Hormones are also in the blood plasma. Red blood cells also named as erythrocytes. Red blood cells sometimes may be immature and they do have nucleus but in general, the mature ones do not have any nucleus. This gives them ability to carry more oxygen. They only exist for 120 days in body and there are approximately 4.5 - 5.8 million erythrocytes per micro-litre of healthy blood. This quantity depends on gender and age. White blood cells also named as leucocytes. There are different types of leucocytes. These can be defined
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Exchange, Transport & Reproduction (view all)
- Describe the molecular structure of starch (amylase), glycog...
- AN ACCOUNT OF NITROGENOUS EXCRETION IN MAMMALS Excretion is ...
- Osmosis in Living Tissue.
- What is Type 1 diabetes
- Sand Dune Succession Coursework
- Describe the Structures of the Human Respiratory System
- Transpiration in Leaves Experiment
- The Process of Osmosis and its Importance to Living Organism...
- Hypothesis: To investigate the effect of different concentra...
- Excretion and the functioning of the kidneys
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
MbT essay summary