- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Calcium ions effect on the rate of coagulation of milk
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Practical Examination 1 (Part A - Planning Exercise)
The aim of the experiment is to find out if the concentration of calcium ions has any effect on the rate of coagulation of milk. To do this I would vary the concentration of calcium ions and see how it affects coagulation.
Rennin, also known as Chymosin, belongs to a family of enzymes called the aspartic proteinases (the reason that it belongs to this family is because it possesses an aspartic acid residue at the active site of the enzyme) and is a proteolytic enzyme synthesized by chief cells in the stomach. Its role in digestion is to curdle or coagulate milk in the stomach, a process of considerable importance in the very young animal. If milk were not coagulated, it would rapidly flow through the stomach and miss the opportunity for initial digestion of its proteins.
Rennin efficiently converts liquid milk to a semisolid like cottage cheese, allowing it to be retained for longer periods in the stomach. Rennin secretion is maximal during the first few days after birth, and declines thereafter, replaced in effect by secretion of pepsin as the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- Factors effecting enzyme activity
- Investigating the effect of temperature on the breakdown of ...
- Outline the structure of the main tissues of the body.
- Is using stem cells to grow new eggs an effective alternativ...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.