- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Cell Vacuole Essay
The first 200 words of this essay...
Cell Vacuole Essay
Cell vacuoles are present in both animal cells and plant cells. Those found in animal cells are usually relatively small such as phagocytic vacuoles, food vacuoles, autophagic vacuoles and contractile vacuoles.
Plants, however, have much larger cell vacuoles which are usually the largest structure in a plant cell often dominating the inside of the cell, crowding other organelles to the cell wall. The vacuole is bound by a very active membrane called the tonoplast.
There are many different types of vacuoles, each with their own specialised functions. Here are examples of some common types of cell vacuoles:
* Plant sap vacuole - present only in plants
* Contractile vacuole
* Food vacuole
* Pinocytic vesicles
As mentioned earlier, the plant cell vacuole is surrounded by a membrane, the tonoplast. This membrane separates the cytoplasm from the vacuole and controls the exchange of substances between the vacuole and the cytoplasm.
An important feature of plant vacuoles is its osmotic properties. These are responsible for a variety of essential processes that occur in plants including support by turgidity to water transport throughout the plant.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- An Experiment to investigate the factors that affect the Pow...
- The similarities and difference between cardiac muscle tissu...
- To investigate how temperature affects the concentration of ...
- Cellular Structure amd Function
- Beetroot Practical Write up
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
- Research project. Type 1 diabetes, is there a solution?
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.