- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast a motor nuerone and a bacterium
The first 200 words of this essay...
The aim of this essay is to compare and contrast a salmonella bacteria (prokaryotic) cell with a motor neurone (eukariotic) cell.
Cells are the basic structures contained in all living organisms, their function, size and shape differ depending on which organism serves as its host. They are catagorised as either eukaryotic or prokaryotic cells, prokaryotic being the old Greek term meaning 'before nucleus'.
It wasn't until the 17th century that cells were discovered by the European Antonie van Leeuwenhoek with his latest invention - a very primitive microscope. These new discoveries were later named by an English scientist by the name of Robert Hooke. (Wikipedia 2007)
The eukaryotic cell can be found in either animals or plants, although the two are very different in both structure and function. The animal cell has a complex internal structure containing many membrane bound organelles that individually have a defined role to play within the cell - more detail will be given about the motor neurone later in this essay. Most animal cells have the same basic parts, namely, nucleus, cell membrane, and cytoplasm with various membrane bound organelles (see appendix 1).
The prokaryotic (bacteria) cell has a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Relating the structure and function of cell organelles
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- How Does Temperature Affect the Action of Amylase on Starch?
- Investigating respiration of maggots
- Colorimetry Experiment - I will investigate and observe the ...
- Experiment Aim: To investigate the effects of placing onion ...
- Influenza is a viral infection which attacks the respiratory...
- How the protein insulin is made.
- This essay will look at different types of human tissues and...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.