- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and contrast the structure and function of chloroplasts and mitochondria.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast the structure and function of chloroplasts and mitochondria
Chloroplasts and Mitochondria are both complex cell organelles found in eukaryote cells. These detailed organelles can be studied more closely with the recent invention of the electron microscope, allowing us to look specifically at the details of their structures in relation to their function
A typical eukaryote cell contains an average of a thousand mitochondria. A mitochondrion is the main site of aerobic respiration and the amount of mitochondria present in a cell represents its metabolic activity. This is demonstrated in the high amount of mitochondria found in the base tail of sperms, as a huge amount of energy is needed in order for the sperm to swim up the fallopian tubes to reach an ovum for fertilization to take place.
Oxygen + Glucose Carbon Dioxide Water Energy
6O C H O 6CO 6H O
Chloroplasts are most commonly found in the photosynthetic tissues of plants and some protocists. Chloroplasts are found palisade cells and play a crucial role in photosynthesis, the process by which plants manufacture food. Similarly to mitochondria the internal organisation of the chloroplasts is done in order to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Energy, Respiration & the Environment (view all)
- Describe the role of energy in the body and the physiology o...
- Describe the concept of homeostasis and the homeostatic mech...
- To determine the amount of energy in different foods and to ...
- Ethics behind selective breeding of animals
- Measurments of boby temperature, heart rate and breathing ra...
- African Trypanosomiasis aka African Sleeping Sickness
- The Effect of Caffeine on Daphnia Heart Rate
- Translocation is the method to alleviate the overbreeding pr...
- Malaria Issue Report
- What Is The Effect Of Caffeine Of The Heart Rate Of Daphnia?...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student