- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Core practical(Why does the colour leak out of cooked beetroot?)
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why does the colour leak out of cooked beetroot?
Beetroot contains red pigment called betalain, located within the cell vacuole. Normally the pigment cannot pass through membranes but they leak out when the beetroot cooked because the cell membrane begins to breakdown.
My hypothesis is that when temperature increases the proteins in the membrane will be denatured and the pigment will leak out of the cell membranes and will colour the water in the test tubes.
Apparatus:- a thin cylinder of beetroot tissues, nine test tubes, beaker ,Bunsen burner, water, thermometer, colorimeter.
* Independent: Time, temperature
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Investigation of respiration in yeast, to show the effect of...
- The Biological Importance of Water
- Beetroot Practical Write up
- Transport across Plasma Membranes
- The effect of Copper Sulphate concentration on Catalase acti...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
- Research project. Type 1 diabetes, is there a solution?
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.