• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Diffusion of the beetroot discs dye in different bile salt concentration.

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Analysing evidence and drawing conclusions In this experiment I generated one set of data plus two additional sets were given for the measurement of light absorbance of beetroot dye using the colorimeter. The data are listed below in Table 1. The first column shows the concentration of the bile salt, the next three columns show the absorbance of the three sets of beetroot dye. The last column gives the average absorbance value for each bile salt concentration. Table 1 Concentration of bile salt (g/100cm3) Absorbance (set # 1) Absorbance (set # 2) Absorbance (set # 3) Total Average absorbance (A) 0.0 0.08 0.08 0.09 0.25 0.08 0.1 0.11 0.07 0.04 0.22 0.07 0.2 0.13 0.08 0.06 0.27 0.09 0.3 0.10 0.11 0.17 0.38 0.13 0.4 0.16 0.17 0.20 0.53 0.18 0.5 0.21 0.09 0.21 0.51 0.17 0.6 0.24 0.09 0.27 0.60 0.20 0.7 0.30 0.15 0.31 0.76 0.25 0.8 0.14 0.13 0.32 0.59 0.20 0.9 0.25 0.25 0.36 0.86 0.29 1.0 0.32 0.25 0.41 0.98 0.32 From the above table there is a clear correlation between the concentration and the absorbance of light. As the concentration increases so does the absorbance increase i.e. the concentration is directly proportional to light absorbance. Bile salts cause beetroot cell membranes to become more permeable, therefore allowing the beetroot anthocyanin to diffuse from within the cell to the outside solution. ...read more.

Middle

The value of the Rs for 11 pairs of data at 95% probably is 0.61. The value of the correlation coefficient in my experiment is 0.97 which is greater than 0.61, therefore there is a positive correlation between the concentration of bile salt and the diffusion rate of dye from beetroot cells, I can then say my data supports my hypothesis with 95% confidence. Therefore I have rejected the null hypothesis and accepted the working hypothesis. The rest of the 5% was probability due by chance. The meaning of the statistical test signifies to us ,that we are 95 % confident that the bile salts are causing the removal of the protein from the membranes, thus releasing more anthocyanin through the tonoplast. Conclusions Diffusion of the beetroot discs dye in different bile salt concentration. A vacuole is a membrane-bound organelle that usually contains liquid. All cells have vacuoles, but plants cells differ from animal cells in that their vacuoles are very large, permanent, and usually occupy a position fairly near the centre of the cell. The membrane surrounding a plant cell vacuole is often known as the tonoplast. Plants cell vacuoles contain many different substances in water. These include sugars, storage proteins, pigments such as anthocyanin found in a beetroot vacuole and enzymes. Vacuoles have a wide variety of functions. For example the colour of some flower petals are caused by the pigment held inside vacuole in their cell. ...read more.

Conclusion

Collision theory, theory used to predict the rate of chemical reactions particularly for gases. The collision theory is based on the assumption that for reaction to occur it is necessary for the reacting species (atoms or molecules) to come together or collide with one another. Not all collisions however, bring about chemical change. A collision will be affective in the producing chemical change only if the species brought together possess a certain minimum value of internal energy, equal to the activation energy of the reaction. Furthermore, the colliding species must be oriented in a manner favourable to the necessary rearrangements of atoms and electrons. Thus according to the collision theory, the rate at which a chemical reaction proceeds is equal to the frequency of collision can be calculated with some degree of accuracy only gases (by application of the kinetic theory), the application of the collision theory is limited to gas phase reaction. This theory shows why at higher concentrations of bile salts, the absorption is higher. It is because at higher concentration of bile salts molecules collide with membrane more frequently therefore more damages is caused to the and more anthocyanin is released, making absorption readings higher. Amylase blinds with ester linkage at a special site known as the active site, which has a specific shape that will only fit that portion of the molecule-it is specialised. This is known as the lock and key hypothesis. Bile salt has no effect on the cell wall, which is made of cellulose, because it is full permeable to pigment and bile salt. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Molecules & Cells section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related AS and A Level Molecules & Cells essays

  1. Marked by a teacher

    Investigating the effect of temperature on the movement of pigment through beetroot cell membranes.

    4 star(s)

    The graph drawn for my preliminary experiment's results show a steep rise between 60?C and 75?C. I think this may happen again as the cholesterol in the bilayer is denatured. Due to cholesterol's key role in maintaining the mechanical stability of the membrane, and from what I read about high

  2. Marked by a teacher

    The Effect of Ethanol Concentration on the Permeability of Beetroot Cell Membranes to Betalain

    3 star(s)

    solution for exactly the same time and so the delay allows me to remove them with enough time in between them to remove the next in time. Variable Volume of Ethanol in each boiling tube. Reason why it must be kept constant in the context of this experiment The volume

  1. Marked by a teacher

    effect of temperature on beetroot pigment through membrane

    3 star(s)

    30oC is equivalent to an extreme summer's day. The hydrogen bonds are weakening allowing pigment movement. Once the temperature increased from 30oC to 40oC there was a decrease of 32% from 76.6% to 44.6% transmission of light. This big decrease shows that something has happened in the membrane, the pores have opened allowing beetroot pigment to leak out into the surrounding water.

  2. Marked by a teacher

    An investigation to examine the effects of temperature on membrane stability in beetroot, by ...

    3 star(s)

    It converts 3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine to betalamic acid. There are two things that can then happen to the betalamic acid; it can condense with amino acids/amines to form betaxanthin, or condence with clyco-COPA derivatives to form betacyanin. They are synthesized in the cytoplasm, then filtered out and stocked in vacuoles.

  1. Marked by a teacher

    The effect of temperature on the permeability of beetroot membrane

    3 star(s)

    The sizes of the beetroot discs are ensured the same with the help of the corer to create the 5mm diameter and a ruler to measure the 5mm length. A pipette will be used to measure the amount of distilled water (5ml)

  2. TEMPERATURE ON BEETROOT PERMEABILITY

    We should take the temperatures before the test tubes are placed in the water bath and after. Then an average can be taken. So all of us will have the same temperature recorded. This will make the result reliable because by then, we are using the same temperatures to find the effect of temperature on the beetroot's permeability.

  1. A2 coursework- The effects of bile salts on digestion of fat

    The time intervals were suitable for the experiment as I was able to record the pH change and was able to calculate a percentage change. I found that the time intervals were long enough to show a pH change and so I will keep them the same for my coursework.

  2. Rate of diffusion investigation

    The direction of flow is always from high concentration to low concentration. The gradients are maintained because frequently the molecules are metabolically converted to other types of molecules once they enter the cell. For many other molecules and ions, favorable diffusion gradients do not exist.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work