- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is a electromagnet
An electromagnet consists of an iron core with a wire wrapped round it and current
flowing through the wire
A conductor carrying a current (I) induces a magnetic field.
This due to the fact that moving charges induces magnetism and the current consists of moving (e )
What are they used for?
Electromagnets are widely used in technology and are the essential components of relays and circuit breakers. Electromagnets are also used in electromagnetic clutches and brakes. In some streetcars, electromagnetic brakes grip directly onto the rails. Very large electromagnets having cores several meters in diameter are used in cyclotrons, and high-power electromagnets are used to lift iron parts or scrap.
This was Found From Encarta
This has helped me so now I see a point in the experiment. Also people who use the high-powered electromagnet would need to know how to get it high powered. Keeping in mind current costs money so they may choose to use another way with a lower current.
The iron core in an electromagnet is full of magnetic domains, which are
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Fields & Forces (view all)
- How Does The Number of Coils On An Electromagnet Affect Its ...
- Falling parachute experiment
- To see how the number of coils on an electromagnet affect it...
- Investigating the forces acting on a trolley on a ramp
- Power Lab Report
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.