- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Enzyme concentration and rate of reaction
The first 200 words of this essay...
DOES ENZYME COCENTRATION AFFECT ENZYME ACTIVITY?
The aim of the following experiment is to determine whether amount of enzyme concentration affects the enzyme activity in an enzyme catalysed reaction.
Enzyme concentration affects enzyme activity. If this is so, then we should expect a correlation, either positive or negative, between the enzyme concentration and the rate of reaction. Activation energy is needed by every reaction to occur. A high enzyme concentration inevitably increases the rate of reaction. There is a directly proportional ratio (positive correlation) between the two, until a peak rate of reaction occurs where the rate cannot increase any further. This will produce a straight-line graph through the origin, which will eventually flatten off at peak rate.
An enzyme is a class of protein, which acts as a biological catalyst to speed up the rate of reaction with its substrates. Enzymes have the ability to act on a small group of chemically similar substances. Enzymes are very specific, in the sense that each enzyme is limited to interact with only one set of reactants; the reactants are referred to as substrates. Substrates of an enzyme are
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Energy, Respiration & the Environment (view all)
- Describe the role of energy in the body and the physiology o...
- Describe the concept of homeostasis and the homeostatic mech...
- Measurments of boby temperature, heart rate and breathing ra...
- Cycles in Biology.
- The Ways in Which Organisms Use ATP
- African Trypanosomiasis aka African Sleeping Sickness
- The Effect of Caffeine on Daphnia Heart Rate
- Translocation is the method to alleviate the overbreeding pr...
- Malaria Issue Report
- What Is The Effect Of Caffeine Of The Heart Rate Of Daphnia?...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.