- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Evaluate the pros and cons of genetic engineering, artificial selection and cloning.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Introduction: The purpose of this essay is to investigate the title and evaluate the pros and cons of
genetic engineering, artificial selection and cloning.
A gene is what determines the inheritance of a particular characteristic, or a group of characteristics, for
a particular organism. Such characteristics determined include sex, hair colour and inherited diseases.
Alleles are different variants on a particular gene, for example, a gene which determines eye colour will
have different alleles which determine different colours.
Chromosomes are what carry genes in pairs, and are found in the nucleus of most cells.
The actual genetic material which gene are made of is deoxyribonucleic acid, which is more commonly
known as DNA. Strands of DNA are made up of combinations of four different bases: adenine, guanine,
cytosine, and thymine, which are grouped into threes to code for an amino acid. Different combinations
of these amino acids produce proteins. A single gene can be made up of hundreds or thousands of the
bases on a strand of DNA. The order of the bases controls the order in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Genetics, Evolution & Biodiversity (view all)
- MENTAL HEALTH
- Compare the Similarities and Differences between Meiosis and...
- The daphnia lab report
- 'Discuss the moral and ethical issues surrounding Recombinan...
- Biology Report - Effect of Environment on Phenotype
- The purpose of this experiment is to identify plant pigments...
- Genetic Screening using CF as an example.
- Hypertension Silent Killer. What is the most effective trea...
- M2. Discuss the impact on individuals and society of genotyp...
- Genetically Modified Foods Research.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.