- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Factors That Affect Enzyme Activity
The first 200 words of this essay...
FACTORS THAT AFFECT ENZYME ACTIVITY
Enzymes are biological catalysts, which speed up the rate of reactions. These catalysts are essential to life as most biological reactions would take place too slowly for life to exist. For example the oxidation of glucose to CO2 and H2O is relatively quick and proceeds almost completely in the direction stated. However, without enzymes, glucose oxidation occurs too slowly at physiological temperatures that the rate is essentially immeasurable. The increase in rate of reaction achieved by the enzymes, depending on the enzyme and reaction, range from a minimum of about a million to as much as a trillion times faster than the un-catalyzed reaction at equivalent concentrations and temperatures. Another significant advantage of enzymes is the fact that they are specific, they only catalyse specific substrates, depending on their shape and the enzymes active site shape. There are substrate concentration, pH, enzyme concentration, temperature, and the presence of inhibitors.
At very low substrate concentration, collisions between enzyme and substrate molecules are infrequent, due to the decrease in the number of substrate molecules for the enzymes to catalyse, and therefore the reaction proceeds slowly. As the substrate concentration increases, the reaction
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure amd Function
- The similarities and difference between cardiac muscle tissu...
- An Experiment to investigate the factors that affect the Pow...
- Explain how the structure of collagen and haemoglobin are re...
- To investigate the effect of Diastase on Starch
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
- Research project. Type 1 diabetes, is there a solution?
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.