- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Find out how the temperature affects the action of amylase on starch.
The first 200 words of this essay...
INVESTIGATING THE EFFECT OF TEMPRATURE ON THE ACTION OF AMYLASE ON STARCH
AIM: I am trying to find out how the temperature affects the action of amylase on starch.
Enzymes are composed of amino acids, they act as catalysts to regulate the speed of chemical reactions in living organisms. Hydrolytic enzymes speed up reactions; amylase is one of these. Enzymes regulate the speed of chemical reactions by building up or breaking down substances, this is done by the 'lock and key' sequence. All enzymes have their own specific shape- like all locks, like a lock it has a specific 'key' that fits into the specific substance, that is exclusive to its appropriate enzyme. Enzymes have an optimum temperature and pH to work in, when the temperature is too high for an enzyme it will become deformed and will cease to function, but if temperature is too low it will function but at a low rate to a point where again it will cease to function; until the heat has been regained.
Starch is a carbohydrate made up of a chain of glucose. Starch is an insoluble, complex molecule and is titled
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Relating the structure and function of cell organelles
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- How Does Temperature Affect the Action of Amylase on Starch?
- Investigating respiration of maggots
- Colorimetry Experiment - I will investigate and observe the ...
- Experiment Aim: To investigate the effects of placing onion ...
- Influenza is a viral infection which attacks the respiratory...
- How the protein insulin is made.
- This essay will look at different types of human tissues and...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'