- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Fuels Coursework Plan
The first 200 words of this essay...
Comparing the Enthalpy change of combustion of different alcohols
Saidul Amin 12LT
Combustion reactions are exothermic. The chemical reactants loose energy and the products end up with less energy than the reactants had. Enthalpy change is the measurement of energy transferred to and from the surroundings. Enthalpy change is worked out as:
?H= H products - H reactants
The diagram below shows an enthalpy level diagram for an exothermic reaction.
I will expect all my enthalpy change values to be negative as combustion is an exothermic reaction, and therefore energy is being lost to the surroundings.
It is however obvious that these values will change for different alcohols, as their molecular structures are different. There are three independent variables which can be investigated in this experiment and these are chain length of the alcohol, amount of branches there are in the alcohols and also the position of the functional group on the alcohol.
In this experiment I will be seeing how the chain length of different alcohols affects change in enthalpy. In turn this means that I am testing how an increased number of carbon atoms on the alcohol effects change in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Organic Chemistry (view all)
- Determination of a Rate Equation
- Reactions of aldehydes and ketones. The purpose of this exp...
- Find the enthalpy change of combustion of a number of alcoho...
- Investigating factors affecting the heat of combustion of al...
- Experiment to measure the enthalpy change of combustion for ...
- The aim of this experiment was to recrystallise an impure sa...
- Extraction of alcohol from beer by distillation.
- Experiment. The aim of this experiment is to identify which...
- Calorimeter lab. What is the change in enthalpy for magnesiu...
- Comparison between Cyclohexane and Cyclohexene
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.