- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Genetic Engineering; Magician or Monster.
The first 200 words of this essay...
GENETIC ENGINEERING; MAGICIAN OR MONSTER
By: Alina Hasni M. Rashid
Genetic Engineering is the science of changing the way a human, an animal or a plant develops by changing the information in its genes. It also the use of various methods to manipulate the DNA (genetic material) of cells to change hereditary traits or produce biological products. Like all other new discoveries, it is always expected that both advantages, 'magician', and disadvantages, 'monster' ,occur in genetic engineering. Some of the most promising and powerful applications of genetic engineering are in the field of medicine. Researchers are using it to diagnose and predict disease, and to develop therapies and drugs to treat devastating diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, and cystic fibrosis. Disease could be prevented by detecting people, plants, or animals that are genetically prone to certain hereditary diseases, and preparing for the inevitable. Gene therapy can be used to fix defective genes or to replace missing genes. Many diseases are the result of just one gene malfunctioning; sickle cell anaemia, cystic fibrosis, are all caused by one defective gene. To correct the problem, gene therapy is used to deliver genes that function correctly.
Genes could also be
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Genetics, Evolution & Biodiversity (view all)
- MENTAL HEALTH
- Compare the Similarities and Differences between Meiosis and...
- 'Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the use of gene...
- Inducible Operon VS Repressible Operon - Genetic regulation ...
- Biology Report - Effect of Environment on Phenotype
- Genetically Modified Foods Research.
- Alzheimer's Disease Report
- The incurable nature of Huntington's disease and current tre...
- In this essay the researcher will discuss the impact of Mult...
- Biology Issue Report on GM Foods
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.