- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The human heart is located in the middle of the thorax but slightly to the left. The left ventricle is slightly larger than the right so it takes up more space in the left side of the thorax and therefore makes the left lung smaller.
The heart is part of the circulatory system and is a powerful muscular sac that pumps blood around the body through blood vessels by repeated contractions. The heart on average beats 72 beats per minute (BPM). In the systemic ...blood travels from the heart via arteries then to the capillaries, which deliver oxygen to all organs in the body, then back up to the heart via the veins. In the pulmonary system blood travels from the lungs to the heart and then back to the lungs again.
The heart consists of four chambers: the upper right and left atria and the lower right and left ventricles.
The two upper chambers are called Atrium or Atria (plural) which are thin walled chambers that receive blood.
The two lower chambers are called Ventricles which are thick walled chambers that pump blood out away from the heart.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Exchange, Transport & Reproduction (view all)
- Explain the role the kidney has in urine production and osmo...
- Describe the molecular structure of starch (amylase), glycog...
- AN ACCOUNT OF NITROGENOUS EXCRETION IN MAMMALS Excretion is ...
- This is an experiment to find out what factors affect osmosi...
- The Renal System.
- Transpiration in Leaves Experiment
- The Process of Osmosis and its Importance to Living Organism...
- Hypothesis: To investigate the effect of different concentra...
- Excretion and the functioning of the kidneys
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.