- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Incidence of Thyroid Cancer in Belarus
The first 200 words of this essay...
Incidence of Thyroid Cancer in Belarus Rebecca Newiss
Biology Coursework 11O2
Belarus is a region just north of the Ukraine in an area that was previously part of the Soviet Union. In 1986 the nuclear reactor at the Chernobyl suffered a serious incident involving a fire and the release of significant amounts of radioactivity. The Gomel region lies immediately to the north of Chernobyl and is known to have received a high level of radioactivity as fallout after the breakdown of the reactor on 26th April 1986. The plume passed first over the Gomel region in the first few hours after a major release of radioactivity, and then over the Brest and Grodno regions. The fall out contained large amounts of iodine - 131. The 'cloud' of radioactivity then moved west over Northern Europe and eventually the U.K. The incidence of thyroid cancers has been monitored in many of town s in Belarus that the town passed over. Here were their findings.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Mechanics & Radioactivity (view all)
- Investigating the strength of a Supermarkets plastic bag.
- Explain how excessive exposure to radiation can cause harm.
- Objective To measure the centripetal force for whirling a m...
- The Physics of Windsurfing
- Task- To make a model sycamore seed that can fly easily and ...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.