- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigating Catalase Activity in Different Plant Tissues.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigating Catalase Activity in Different Plant Tissues
By Dariush Mahboubian
In this experiment I am going to investigate the effect of pH on the activity of the enzyme catalase. I will be using plant extracts to obtain the catalase for my experiment. The plant material available is carrot, radish, potato and spring onion. In my preliminary experiment I will be looking at which of these materials will be best suited to my main experiment. In my main experiment I will be measuring the rate of reaction by finding out the time taken for a certain amount of product to be given off. The rate of reaction is basically the same as 1/time. I will do each experiment and repeat it 3 times to get an accurate average result.
During respiration plants and animals make hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is poisonous and they need to get rid of it as soon as they produce it. They get rid of the hydrogen peroxide using the enzyme catalase. Enzymes are biological catalysts which speed up chemical reactions without being changed at the end of the reaction and without being used up. They are made from protein
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Outline the structure of the main tissues of the body.
- How can we control the infection rates of MRSA in hospitals?...
- The Biological Importance of Water
- Cellular Structure amd Function
- Testing foods for proteins, lipids, sugars and starch. Aim: ...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
- Research project. Type 1 diabetes, is there a solution?
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.