- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigation into the effect of temperature on the activity of the enzyme urease.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigation into the effect of temperature on the activity of the enzyme urease
Urea + Urease ? Ammonium Carbonate
The aim of this experiment is to investigate the affect of different temperatures on the rate of activity of the enzyme urease.
I will achieve this by heating 5 solutions to different temperatures. They will be heated in a water bath and left for approximately 40 minutes. After this time, acid will be added to neutralize the solution and the activity of the enzyme will be measured via the volume of acid added.
My predication is that as I increase the temperature of the solutions, the speed in which the reaction takes place, and amount of products produced will increase. However, I predict that at a high temperature the enzymes will denature and activity will cease. This is because of the following reasons. Firstly, at a high temperature, molecules are given more kinetic energy. In a reaction, this results in an increase in collisions and an increase in the amount that are actually effective. The same applies with enzymes. At a higher temperature the substrate and enzyme molecules have more kinetic energy and therefore have more
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Investigation of respiration in yeast, to show the effect of...
- Beetroot Practical Write up
- The Biological Importance of Water
- An investigation into the effect of substrate concentration ...
- I am going to investigate the ability of Pepsin on Gelatin. ...
- How organelles work together
- Modern solutions for Mesothelioma An Issue report
- Describe how the Organelles in the Beta Cells Work Together ...
- Vaccination and the components of the immune system
- Research project. Type 1 diabetes, is there a solution?
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.