- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Mendels Inheritance Experiment. A class practical was carried out on purple fruit maize cobs and yellow fruit maze cobs where the individual kernels (fruits) were able to be identified
The first 200 words of this essay...
Gregor Mendel, who is known as the father of modern genetics; Gregor Mendel carried out most of his work at a monastery where he spent most of his time to study variation in plants during this work he conducted a study in the monastery's garden, Mendel cultivated and tested around 29,000 pea plants.
This study carried out on 29,000 pea plants showed that one in four pea plants had purebred recessive alleles, two out of four were hybrid and one out of four were purebred dominant; his experiments led him to make two generalizations which came to be the law of segregation and the law of independent assortment which later became known as Mendel's laws of inheritance.
Gregor Mendel's work studied and researched Monohybrid inheritance, Monohybrid inheritance is the inheritance of a single characteristic, the different forms of the characteristic are usually controlled by different alleles of the same gene; for example a monohybrid cross between two pure breeding plants (homozygous for their respective traits), one with yellow seeds (the dominant trait) and one with green seeds (the recessive trait), would be expected to produce an F1 (first) generation with only yellow seeds
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Genetics, Evolution & Biodiversity (view all)
- A Separate Peace by John Knowles - summary of theme and narr...
- With the aid of specific examples, describe the concept of a...
- The Role of Sex
- The Problem of Endangerment in Siberian Tigers
- The Future Impact That the Human Genome
- Genetically Modified Foods Research.
- Alzheimer's Disease Report
- The incurable nature of Huntington's disease and current tre...
- In this essay the researcher will discuss the impact of Mult...
- Biology Issue Report on GM Foods
""Zoey. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.