- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
''Soil organisms are vital to the substantial fertility of the ecosystem'' Discuss this with reference to a) Breakdown of organic material b) Replenish the nutrient available pool.
The first 200 words of this essay...
''Soil organisms are vital to the substantial fertility of the ecosystem''
Discuss this with reference to
a) Breakdown of organic material
b) Replenish the nutrient available pool
Soil organisms are a key biological component in both the breakdown of organic material and the replenishment of the nutrient available pool. They are also vital to the sustainability of fertility of any ecosystem. Over 80% of organic matter fixed by the process of photosynthesis enters the soil. Due to soil biota, the nutrients within the organic matter are released, contributing to the nutrient available pool. Without the presence and activity of soil organisms, ecosystems will constitute of litter within a matter of years. Nutrients are also essential to the growth and fertility of plants. Nitrogen in the atmospheric state is inert, and has no role in the biological cycle. However, with the presence of certain bacteria's (e.g. nitrifying bacteria), nitrates are formed which is a fundamental aspect of life.
The breakdown of matter, which contributes to the substantial fertility of ecosystems, is a result of many kinds of terrestrial decomposers. A dead organism holds valuable nutrients, all of which remains intact without the activity
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Energy, Respiration & the Environment (view all)
- Describe the concept of homeostasis and the homeostatic mech...
- Measurments of boby temperature, heart rate and breathing ra...
- Describe the role of energy in the body and the physiology o...
- Produce a summary of energy inputs and outputs for both anae...
- How is ATP produced and used in living organisms?
- African Trypanosomiasis aka African Sleeping Sickness
- The Effect of Caffeine on Daphnia Heart Rate
- Translocation is the method to alleviate the overbreeding pr...
- Malaria Issue Report
- What Is The Effect Of Caffeine Of The Heart Rate Of Daphnia?...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student