- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The advantages and disadvantages of the biological control method of pest management?
The first 200 words of this essay...
The advantages and disadvantages of the biological control method of pest management
The biological control method of pest management does not use chemicals. Biological control uses various organisms that are either predators or parasites to the pest. A pest is an organism which causes damage to people and their crops, however this is an economical definition, as opposed to a biological one. Something is considered to be a pest when it reduces productivity by 5-10%.
Plants require certain mineral ions in order to grow well, however there is a limited amount of these in soil. Therefore if weeds are growing in a wheat crop, they will take some of the mineral ions that would go to the wheat plants. Interspecific competition is the competition between organisms of different species for the resources that they require, and intraspecific competition is the competition between organisms of the same species. Weeds also compete with crops for water and light as opposed to just mineral ions.
Pests reduce the yield of plants in various ways. They can have a direct effect by damaging the leaves of the plant. Aphids feed by inserting their mouthparts into plant cells,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Energy, Respiration & the Environment (view all)
- An investigation into the effect of different sugars on resp...
- How Abiotic Factors Present In an Ecosystem Affect the Organ...
- effect of temperature on the rate of respiration in yeast
- How is ATP produced and used in living organisms?
- Mean temperatures are rising these may result in physiologi...
- Reintroduction of Wolves to Yellowstone National Park: Good ...
- How effective is tuberculosis (TB) treatment in less economi...
- Infectious Diseases - Avian Flu
- African Trypanosomiasis aka African Sleeping Sickness
- The Effect of Caffeine on Daphnia Heart Rate
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.